sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler Sebring convertible touring: My 2008 Sebring convertible

Customer Question

My 2008 Sebring convertible with 72k loses power at 3500 tons and also shudders when you let off the gas pedal to coast. The dash board lights also go out.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If it's just a power loss then low fuel pressure or an exhaust restriction would be a likely cause, but you may be feeling a lowered rev limiter. If the powertrain control module sees an issue with the cam or crank sensor signal or sees that they are out of sync then it will impose a lowered rev limiter.
The first step in diagnosing the problem will be checking for fault codes. If a lowered rev limiter is being imposed then there will be a code set. Have you checked for codes?
Is it instrument cluster illumination that is going out? If so do the radio and a/c control head lose illumination at the same time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had diagnostic run at Auto Zone , has there is a check engine light on. I am at work now and to not have the print out with me. The problem reminds me of an old governor. I can send the print out tonight.
In regards ***** ***** dash lights, everything except the radio goes out. The problem started after my wife hit a large pot hole with the drivers side front wheel(THUD!!!)
I
Let me know what codes are setting when you're able to and we'll go from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's the print out from Auto Zone. Please let me know what you think.
Which engine do you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never remember the size. There are 3 v6's. I have the middle one.
Do you have the VIN?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1c3lc55r68n681860
You have a 2.7. P0344 is for the cam sensor and sets when the engine controller is seeing an intermittent signal from it. This could be the sensor itself, wiring or connections, possibly incorrect cam timing (which should set a P0016 instead). By far the most likely cause for this is the sensor and if wiring and connections are visibly ok then replacing the cam sensor with a Mopar part should take care of it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that something I can do myself or is it a dealer job?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car runs normal when cold.
The cam sensor isn't hard to replace and is something you can most likely replace on your own if you do some fairly minor repairs. Replacing the sensor will involve unplugging it and removing the bolt that holds it and then sliding the sensor out, the sensor is on the front of the left cylinder head.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought the cam sensor last night from Auto Zone for 34.00. Took 15 minutes to replace and after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery the check engine light went out. The car now runs great. My dash board lights still go in and out.
The instrument cluster lights is a separate issue.Will moving the dimmer change the behavior of the lights?