sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler New Yorker: I just replaced the ignition switch and

Customer Question

I just replaced the ignition switch and ignition lock on my 1990 Chrysler New Yorker during my test drive the car started right off however as I'm driving the turn signals wouldn't work dash lights wouldn't come on and other electrical issues too numerous to mention. However upon returning home as I was putting the car in park, (which was difficult), all the electrical components flashed on. So I turn the car off, then immediately attempt to start the car again and nothing happens. The lights work, radio works, etc. but the engine does nothing but a clicking sound HELP
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
You may have quite a few things going on. The replacement switch may be bad or there could be a connection issue at the switch, or the problems may be unrelated to the work that was done. These would often overheat the ignition switch connector and wiring, if there was heat damage to the connector or wiring then the connector should have been replaced
If you get a click from the engine compartment it may be a battery related issue. A single click is usually a sign of a failed starter but it may be a cable or connection issue or the battery may just be dead. The electrical problems while driving may have been from low battery voltage.
The first thing I would recommend is trying a jump start (not always reliable), a known good battery, or having this battery load tested.