sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler 300M: I have a 2001 Chrysler 300M, all of a sudden

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Chrysler 300M, all of a sudden it won't stay started. It tries to start then just cuts off. My mechanic has had it for 3 weeks and called yesterday saying he gives up he can't figure it out. I know he has checked the started, the ignition switch, the fuses and relays and few other things I can't recall. Any ideas what it might be.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If it starts and dies abruptly then I would first suspect a SKIM system issue. The SKIM module in the steering column communicates with a transponder in the key to allow the engine to start and run. If the key, SKIM module and powertrain control module don't all agree or aren't able to communicate correctly then the engine will start, run for about two seconds and die abruptly. The most likely cause for this would be the key but it could be the SKIM module, the PCM, or a PCI bus communication problem.
Is this what it's doing?