Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Sprinter Van Certified
49095596

Chrysler 300: Had my car left in gear when I turned the car

Customer Question

Had my car left in gear when I turned the car off. Now it won't start at all. I shifted back to park, but still the car won't turn over. I feel stupid but how do I fix this?
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
Before we continue, try one thing, Shift the transmission to "Neutral" and try to start it. Let me know if it starts?
Also check to see if there is a Red Dot illuminated on the cluster when you try to start it...
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help. I shifted to neutral, but it doesn't start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there is a red dot illuminated when I try to start it. It shuts off after a few seconds
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if the red dot comes on then goes out after a few seconds that is normal. The red dot is the Security Light. This light will stay illuminated or continue to flash if there is a problem with the security system or immobilizer system. Since the light comes on and goes out, that eliminates this as a cause...
Leaving the vehicle in gear while shutting off the engine will NOT cause any problems or create a scenario where anything needs to be "reset" so you don't need to worry about this causing any problems. It is likely coincidence that it will not start at this time..
Exactly what happens when you try to start it? Do you get a single click, a series of clicking or ratcheting sounds or no sounds at all?
Do you have a way to test battery voltage?
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No way to test battery voltage but I have power to everything else. A few weeks ago I had this problem (car not starting), and I had it towed to an auto shop. They told me that when they brought the car off of the truck, it started just fine for them. They said battery and starter were ok. It's started fine ever since, until tonight. I know that shitting the car off while its in drive shouldn't cause a major issue, and it *could* be a coincidence that the car would t start after I did this. But it really seems like the car is "locking up" and not going into park correctly somehow, and whatever the tow truck drivers did that day in loading it on the truck got the car able to be started again. Don't know if that makes sense
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like a single click when I try to start it.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
This is the symptom of a faulty starter. Especially since the battery was already tested.. The starter itself would have been diagnosed ad good if it started everytime the shop attempted to start it.. It would have needed to be "Acting up" at the time it was being checked to be able condemn the starter.
At this time, I recommend to have the starter tested again now that it is acting up again.
Keep me posted and let me know if you have additional questions...
Thank you,
Robert