sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

How much does this cost?

Customer Question

How much does this cost?
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am adding to this question, hang on...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2003 Chrysler Town & Country LXi (3.8L) - I have a question about the fuel pump, fuel tank, and emissions lines etc. In troubleshooting our non-starting I got the codes, they were P0106 and P0122 and P1496. I first replaced the throttle position sensor and cleaned the throttle body. No joy. I then replace the MAP sensor and no real change. I then checked the voltages on both connectors and they were both just barely below 5v like in the 4.6 - 4.9 range. So I then decided to replace the fuel pump (has about 200k+ on it). I took the tank out and generally the procedures such as cleaning the top of the tank etc. I then replaced the fuel pump and filter. When I went to replace the tank I realized that the emissions line that runs from front right of the tank to left rear had broken at the nipple. Dang. Wasn't sure what to do about that but I just left it disconnected. I buttoned everything else up and put gas back and now the motor runs and does not conk out when pressing the gas pedal. I have two remaining problems, one of which might be related to the emissions line I don't know. that's why I am asking. Remaining problem one: The codes are still there and I can't seem to erase them. either my reader won't delete them on the Chrysler or it is still complaining about the low voltage. Remaining Problem Two: there is now a sort of shutter when I road tested out on the highway when starting up a grade. Around town it seems operate essentially perfectly unless there is a high gear transition to an upward grade and some times (not all) it will hesitate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, am I going to need to replace the dang tank now just cause that little connector is broken on the vent canister or whatever that white thing is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way, the nipple that broke was the one on the rear white thing that receives the line from the front white thing. The emission line from the rear thingy to the connector by the tank filler is fully intact no problem there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the picture I just added is almost identical to my tank with one exception. With the one pictured, the emission line at that front of the tank seems to connect back directly to the engine. On my 03 T&C the line actually runs from the front vent to the rear vent or whatever you call those white things and then up to connector next to the tank filler. The receiving nipple on the rear white thing, as I said, was the one that broke.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If the nipple on one of the rollover valves has broken off then yes, the fuel tank will need to be replaced.
The driveability issue is most likely related to the codes that are setting.
If you aren't able to clear the codes that's because the problems are current. The problem could be the powertrain control module but it's almost surely wiring.
The most common place to find wiring damage is at the intake area. There is a large electrical connector behind the ignition coil area. On the intake side of this connector you'll usually find the insulation has degraded or melted and wires are shorted together. I would recommend opening up this area of the harness and I believe you'll find wiring damage.