Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  #@ years in the Automotive repair field.
7276279

I am having trouble with my 2006 PT cruiser Turbo

Customer Question

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
In order to be able to try and help you I need to know what type of problem you are having. Please explain with as many details as you can and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the late reply.The PT cruiser was giving me codes P0700 & P0882. It was running in limp mode (does not switch from first gear). I found the main air vacuum boot to the intake was completely torn and replaced, but nothing.After some research in forums I narrowed it down to 2 possible problems. TIPM and/or PCM. I read sometimes all you need is flash/update the computer modules. I had a guy reprogram/flash the TIPM/PCM and it did not fix it.I decided to buy a cheap TIPM (junkyard) to see if problem got fixed. Installed it and had the same guy come re-flash the TIPM. I am told it needs to be reprogrammed to match the car's options (i.e., convertible, 2 doors, turbo, etc). The PCM gave me a new code, gas pump failure. I could not pull it up with the code reader, but the programmer showed me the PCM was yellow on his laptop, indicating of a code.The codes went away for 1-2 days. (The car meanwhile was acting odd. One of the headlights would stay on after car was on for 5 minutes, the rear driver's breaklight was off, etc). I was gonnna also get a PCM, but at this point I want to spend money a bit more cautiously and not just keep throwing money at it.Any suggestions?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
So since you made all of these repair is it still setting a fault code and or codes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not sending codes, but goes into limp mode randomly when it goes to high speeds +50mph.All I do is shut it off, turn it back off and its fine.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
If its going into Limp mode then the computer has to be seeing something it does not like and in most cases a code and or codes should be setting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well since I replaced the TIPM unit the car has been at least been running. The headlight/break light acting up tells me the unit might've not been reprogrammed correctly and that's what the PCM might not like.I was thinking of installing the old TIPM and see if the old issues comeback. With the old unit though, the PCM would throw those codes 30 sec after I reset the codes and started driving.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
I would agree, it sounds like you still have a problem with the TIPM and or its programming, install the old one and see if any fault codes reset and post back with the results and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I re-installed the old part and same symptoms showed up. I started the car and drove, 30 seconds later, limp mode and service engine soon comes on. Definately feels different than the other TIPM. I drove the car up to 60+ and didn't get a light or code.I cannot check what codes I have, my OBD2 scanner is now telling me that it "does not support this module" Maybe because the programmer guy flashed the TIPM & PCM my ODBII scanner is not able to read the car. I am trying to update the scanner to see if that's the problem, but I am assuming that it will be the same two previous codes.One more thing I failed to mention and saw once I installed the old part. When I turn on the car, there is a square that highlights what gear you are one. When the car turns on it is obviously on park ( P ) but the car flashes all the gears. There is a square on every single gear letter and if flashes intermittently.At this point I am starting to think the new TIPM is not programmed correctly since its such a big difference. Is there a difference between flashing the unit vs reprogramming it? I know the guy flashed it, but not entirely sure if it was reprogrammed.I will get back to you as soon as I update the unit and am able to read the codes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I said I drove the car up to 60+mph, it was with the new TIPM, right before I changed it to the old one.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Flashing and programming are considered the same thing. I am think as you are and that the replacement TIPM is either defective or not programmed properly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well then I will probably have to bite the bullet and buy a new TIPM somewhere. Any suggestions?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
would go with the OEM factory unit and they will make sure it's properly programmed as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I got the new TIPM and installed it on car. The car ran well when I test drove it during the day. At night I drove it and it threw the codes p0700 and p0882. I cleared them to recreate exactly when I was getting them. I wasn't able to do it....drove 60+mph, lights, radio AC full blast...Let it run for a while, I even turned the car on with the AC full blast and nothing.I got out frustrated and decided to try and open the convertible top. I turned on car and it gave me a new code it had never given me P1603, which I looked up and could be two possible problems:1. Fused ignition switch output is missing (off-start-run circuit)
2. PCM has an internal failureWhere do I check for the fused ignition switch?At this point with all the other codes/problems I am leaning on the PCM being the problem because of the continuity of the issues....Is there a way to check if the PCM is bad?