George H.
George H., ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

My 99 Chrysler Town and Country has been making a clunking

Customer Question

My 99 Chrysler Town and Country has been making a clunking sound at lower speeds but the steering has been fine. I was told that the Rack and Pinion needs replaced for $800.00. How long can I wait to do this and could it be some other problem?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, If the steering is fine I would have another shop take a look. These are famous for sway bar end links that rattle and clunk so if everything is OK with the rack, the tie rod ends and the strut and control arm mounts that I what I would try. I would disconnect the sway bar and tie it up then drive, if the noise is gone you know it is the links. Before spending $800 on a rack when the steering feels "fine" I certainly would have a certified independent shop that does alignments take a look. Please let me know how I can help you with your question Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already had the sway bar replaced and if I knew how to disconnect and tie it up, I probably wouldn't be asking these questions. If it is the R&P problem but the steering is fine, how long can I drive and will it make it worse if I do? Could it be doing this because the sway bar wasn't fixed right or something else?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure what the shop told you was the problem with the rack, as I say if the steering is fine then you need to have another shop take a look and see if they find the same thing the first shop did. I don't know what the noise is so it is tough to say it is the sway links again, I don't know how long ago they were replaced. They do wear though and that is why I brought it up as an inexpensive alternative to the rack. Can you tell where the noise is coming from? Did you take it to the shop for the noise or did they bring the rack to your attention. Let me know so I can help Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The clunk is mostly at low speed and I guess it is at front or under, near front. Happens when slowing down, going over bumps and when turning. Sway was replaced about a year ago. I took it to the shop for the noise and they said they could replace R&P for $800.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
That sounds like the links or a loose rack mounting. I would ask the shop how sure they are that replacing the rack will stop the noise. It is very rusted?