sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler PT Cruiser Platinum turbo,: 2004 PT cruiser turbo,

Customer Question

2004 PT cruiser turbo, engine runs about 20 to 30 seconds really good with no codes showing, then engine comes on for about 10 seconds then engine starts to run rough and dies. codes show PO028 and PO032, repalced many things already incuding sensors, fron and back, PCM, and coil. what can it be?
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After engines dies, I can disconnect battery neg terminal, reconnect and it resets, ready to start with no codes however it only runs smooth for about 15 seconds before engine light comes on again, then starts to run bacd ans dies. will not restart until battery is diconnected and reconnected again. Sensors were Bosch type replacements OEM. CPU was replaced with rebuld unit with no changes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Changed the front o2 sensors again just to make sure I did not have a defevtive on, same codes came back on and same sequence happened, engines good for approximately 15 seconds at 2500 RPM, engine light comes on and engine hesitates but keeps on running on all four cylinders, after approxmately 10 to 15 more seconds engine cuts down to 2 to 3 cylinders only, no power and finally stalls. Will not restart without removing battery post and reconnecting again. I have become a parts replacer at this point.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It sounds as if it's leaning out from the inaccurate oxygen sensor signal when going into closed loop. P0032 and 38 are for both of the oxygen sensor heater circuits, if the upstream heater isn't operating correctly it will cause driveability problems.
The problem could be the sensors, wiring, or possibly the PCM, but the PCM would be unlikely.
The Bosch sensors won't work for this vehicle and will need to be replaced with Mopar. If both of these codes started setting at the same time though then you most likely didn't have a sensor problem to start with.
Both sensor heaters share the same ground and the PCM duty cycles power to the heaters. A loss of ground on the heater ground circuit will cause both of these codes to set at the same time. The first thing I would recommend is load testing the ground on the black wire, I think you'll find it's missing or weak.