sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My car makes a bump bump bump sound when you put in reverse.

Customer Question

My car makes a bump bump bump sound when you put in reverse. It acts like it s having a hard time going in reverse.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It's possible that you could have an issue with the rear brakes but it may also be an issue with the reverse clutch in the trans.
If the noise comes from the rear or it feels as if it's trying to move with the brakes pressed then you likely have one or more broken brake shoes. The shoe material can break free of the shoe backing plate and then wedge against the drum preventing you from moving in one direction or the other.
If the wheels turn freely but it seems to be slipping in reverse then the reverse clutch is almost surely slipping. Does this seem to be the case?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It wasn't either of those things. The motor mount had broken. Please refund my money.
There may have been some miscommunication as a motor mount won't cause a transmission engagement issue.
If you would like a refund of your deposit you can do so from your screen.