FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel Tech
1627031

PT cruiser 2.0 ltr 2001 Auto, brake pedal travels to floor,

Customer Question

PT cruiser 2.0 ltr 2001 Auto, brake pedal travels to floor, just replaced master cylinder, rebuilt front calipers, new pistons and seals, new banjo fixing washers, found NO leaks, pumped pedal gets harder, stop, then goes to floor, do this with engine
running, pump brake , brake gets harder, even nearly stalls engine, stop then pedal goes to floor again. STUMPED
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me if the pedal was like this prior to changing any of these parts or did it occur after replacing them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
car ran fine before, car only taken off road for lower swing arm bush replacement, took opportunity to renew timing belt, plugs, rebuild and clean up front calipers, bleeding brakes, air bled out, push pedal to floor, fluid level dropped, let foot go, level back up, so replaced brake master cylinder, brake still travels to floor.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Is this a new master cylinder? Was all of the brake fluid drained from the system at any point?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tested second hand, master cylinder and front calipers are all that have had been drained for fitment, (could a split in a pcv hose cause this problem), any more information needed to get answer.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
A PCV hose would not cause a low pedal. It can cause a hard pedal though. It sounds to me like your master cylinder is either bad or there is air trapped in the ABS module. I would not install anything but a new master cylinder on this car. If you are sure that it is good then you need to bleed the ABS unit out using a scan tool with bleeding capabilities.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get a new seal kit for the original then, put that in place and see if it works, hope that does it.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Let me known. Even with a seal kit the bore may be bad. Do your best to make sure that the bore looks perfectly round and does not have any marks or ridges inside.