sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler Town & Country: 2012 Chrysler T&C has intermitten

Customer Question

2012 Chrysler T&C has intermittent starting problems - push button start. Van will start and run for a few seconds then shut off. Have to cycle back to off then try again. Sometimes will work OK the second try but sometimes have to try again. Most of the time it starts correctly, but about 1 tenth of the time this happens. Local dealer has no clue and wants to start taking things apart looking for the problem but since it is intermittent, I worry that they will find nothing and charge me a lot.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When this happens if i just push the brake and the start button again, it will crank without starting. if it is cycled to off, then it might start or do the same as described above
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If the starter cranks at all then that should rule out a key related issue but it's possible that there could be an issue with the key, one of the antennas, the RF hub or wireless control module. If the key isn't validated then it shouldn't crank initially, but if it starts and dies abruptly then it may not be validating the key an killing the engine. You might try another key.
If the system is working correctly then that shouldn't be the case, a loss of spark or fuel would be more likely. fuel pressure may need to be checked while the problem is happening. Anything that causes a loss of spark should set a fault code.
Do you know if any codes are setting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem happens with my wife's key also. It would be difficult to check the fuel pressure while the problem is happening since it is intermittent and when it happens I am not anywhere that can check. I don't know about a fault code..
The first thing that should be done is check for fault codes. There may be something stored for the ASD circuit, crank sensor, cam sensor, coil or injector circuits, and that will give a starting point for diagnosis. Electrical testing would need to be done at the time the problem is happening to know what is going on, but if there is a cam or crank sensor code stored then you're usually pretty safe with just replacing the sensor.