sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler Pacifica Touring: My 2008 Chrysler pacifica is having

Customer Question

My 2008 Chrysler pacifica is having problems starting sometimes! When I turn the key the lights on the dashboard lights up but nothing happens no clicking doesn't sound like it's trying to start..but when I try a second time it will start, it doesn't happen every time but at least once a day we'll today it took 5 try to get it to start, what could this be
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
There are quite a few things it could be. Unless a problem can be found with a poor connection at the battery, starter or engine ground it will take some electrical testing at the time the problem is happening to determine what is going on.
Connections should be checked to make sure they're clean and tight but if you hear no noise from the engine compartment then odds are the problem won't be a connection or the starter itself.
If the starter isn't being commanded to engage it could be the starter relay, ignition switch, wiring, the powertrain control module may not be awake, or the starter may be inhibited because of a transmission range sensor related issue. The range sensor tells shifter position and if it doesn't see the trans is in park or neutral then it will prevent the starter from engaging. I've seen a handful of range sensor issues cause intermittent no crank issues such as you're having.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does seem to shift hard when going into 1st and 2nd gear and as soon as I put it in drive from park it feels like it might stall I took it to the transmission shop and they said the transmission wasn't skipping and that these cars have a tendency to shift hard, could thay sensor do that as well?
The range sensor woudln't cause those issues. The harsh 1-2 shift may be clutch chatter from a leaking clutch or incorrect/degraded fluid, it could be software or could definitely be normal if you're not used to the normal feel of this trans.
The other issue could possibly be the torque converter clutch attempting to lock up at a stop, which is often caused by the valve body on this trans. If this was the case it would feel as if the engine is being drug down much like letting out on the clutch with a manual trans while still holding the brake.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you!
You're welcome!