Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Chrysler PT Cruiserl: Certified drivability tech. 2006 PT

Customer Question

Certified drivability tech. Hi 2006 PT cruiser 2.4 litre automatic.
AC compressor does not kick in. Checked ac fuse, ok and hooked Verus scanner and ran output controls to activate AC clutch but will not turn. System is charged and low pressure switch bridged
Anthony. Thanks for help. No tip on sure track Snapon
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Welcome to our site. To activate the A/C compressor clutch, the PCM must first receive a request from the A/C control panel; it will then look at ECT signal and, if everything is OK, will ground terminal 10 (DkBlue/Light Green wire) of the TIPM (input signal); the TIPM then will send system voltage as an output signal to the compressor clutch from its terminal 7 (DkBlue/Yellow wire).As a retired Chrysler Master tech I'm not familiar with aftermarket scan tools, only with DRBIII and Starscan. But if your tool can perform actuator tests, all you would need to do is check all the fuses, turn the ignition and A/C on, activate the compressor and check to see if there is ground and voltage at the TIPM as I described above. If there is, then there is a problem with the wiring between the compressor and the TIPM, the connectors or the clutch. If there's only ground at the TIPM but no power coming out to the compressor, the problem is the TIPM. If there is no ground or power at the TIPM, then the problem is with the PCM or the signal it is getting from the ECT sensor. Kindly accept and rate my answer now if you think the information I've provided has helped you solve your issue. Otherwise, please reply. Best Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for the response. I had trouble with server when submitting my info. I have read your information Juan and will re-book vehicle in for further diagnosis asper your instructions. Most posts on forums suggest that the TIPM could be faulty. Can I ask you further if ECT has to do with the compressor not turning on. I have the Shopkey pro wiring diagram. This car has a complicated way of turning compressor clutch on. I have taken my power probe and directly powered the clutch and yet no click. Also used a headlamp bulb 60 watts plugged into compressor harness with no luck of lighting up when av turned on. I will let you know next week when car comes in. Thanks again. Tony
Hi Tony,First I'd like to caution you to be careful when working on computer controlled systems. Always use high-impedance/resistance meters and test lights (about 10 MegaOhms) - stay away from power probes and regular test lights that can easily damage low-amperage computer circuits.Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) plays a key role in compressor activation. In normal operation, if the PCM detects a signal from the ECT that is out of the pre-programmed parameters, it will not send a ground signal to the TIPM, so the TPIM won't energize the compressor clutch coil. However, during an actuator test with ignition on and engine off, the scan tool can make the PCM ground the TIPM regardless of ECT signal.To test the compressor clutch coil, disconnect it from the harness and apply direct power and ground to it. If it doesn't pull the plate against the clutch, check for coil winding continuity. If OK, check for proper clearance. If OK, replace clutch coil. I'm looking forward to hearing from you once the car comes in. Best Regards.
Hi again. Just checking to see if the information I provided helped you solve your issue. If it did, then kindly accept and rate my answer now. If it didn't, please reply so we can keep working.
Best Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Juan I have replied to you but we seem to have a lot of issues with the mail. I did say that we let the customer have the vehicle back to have it re-scheduled another time as she is a daily driver that uses car for business. Hopefully 24th July onwards.
Thank you again
XXXX
Sorry I didn't get your previous reply. I just wanted to let you know you can accept my answer now and the question will still remain open until you decide to close it. Best Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Juan my customer is bringing her pt cruiser in tomorrow to be checked as per your instruction. Wil let you know what I find. Thanks
Tony
Thank you for the update. Best Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Juan had the pt in on Saturday and took the TIPM covers off and found that when you request ac signal there is is no out put to compressor. Was not easy to locate the wires for connectors. I spent about three hours and even Shopkey ( Mitchell ) did not show me which connector is which. Could not find the other colour coded wires on wiring diagram. This car by the way is a tourer. No badge to tell you otherwise. I put all back and told customer I did not want to waste her money on labour hours. She will take to Chrysler dealer. Why is this so complicated? I work mainly on Japanese and Korean and some European vehicles. So I feel really bad that I could not find wires. I will talk to you more when I get myself A little rest time.
Thank you very much
Tony
Thanks for the update. If you're going to work on Chrysler products on a regular basis, I'd advice you to get a capable scan tool with the proper software that can read PIDs, as well as a simple scope. Otherwise you'd be needlessly spending a lot of time and effort trying to diagnose these systems. Best Regards.