Don Knight
Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  40+ years experience all makes&models
5784781

Neither of my rear doors unlock. Handles move freely but no

Customer Question

Neither of my rear doors unlock. Handles move freely but no budging of the doors.They worked fine in the very cold of winter but as soon as it got warmer...kaput. I have tried... or had planned on trying to get the inside panels off to see if I could find
a cause but, unless I remove the seat... which I cannot do without opening the doors...sigh... I cannot figure out how to do so. HELP!!!!! oh... I am pretty sure the childlock is not engaged
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Don Knight replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell in the door locks are working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really... one of the little doohickeys on top of the door panel is up and the other is down. They do not move when the power lock button is engaged
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes it 'sounds' like the lock is disengaging... but nothing changes.Other times no sound from the back. I am not sureif the sound is from the rear door or if it is just my imagination
Expert:  Don Knight replied 1 year ago.
If you can see if you can lift up on the door lock buttons.If you can next see if the doors open from either the inside or the outside handles.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried both of these solutions to no avail. Doors just won't open from either inside or outside handles
Expert:  Don Knight replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like your door lock actuators are causing this problem.If can get in the back remove the screws that hold the panel in place.You should not need to remove the seat.Once you get the panel off you will need to remove the actuators.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where are the screws located?I have looked but I think I found one only and I know there are many more
Expert:  Don Knight replied 1 year ago.
I need to know the year and model of your Chrysler.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2005 Chrysler 300 Touringare there SERVICE manuals that can be found online? I have found User manuals galore, but no service manuals at all. I am not a dummy with cars.I was a certified mech in the 70s, but everything has changed 1000% since then.If I could find service manuals, I wouldn't be bothering you now cause I am sure I could figure everything thing out on my own.But...
Expert:  Don Knight replied 1 year ago.
I have less then two years to go before I get out of this business.I have Mitchel on demand for my"manuels"There are 6 screws and 3 push pins in the door panel.I dont know how to pull up the diagram to show you so I will opt out and let another expert assist you.Good luck with the repairs.As far as a service booklet the only place I know of is the dealer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don...thank you for trying to help. Greatly appreciated!!! I got out of the nuts-n-bolts biz when I opened up a Horizon's hood and the engine was sideways. I went into total retirement when carbs started disappearing and computers were governing the fuel injection. When you get out... hope you find a nice quiet island somewhere where it is warm. My wife wouldn't let me go. Got rid of her but I'm still stuck in Michigan!! Good luck! And again... thank you!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don was great but we weren't able to come to a perfect answer. I think I will just take the car into the dealer and pay the exorbitant charges for their normal mediocre job. Thanks anyway!!!