sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Plymouth Voyager: Just bought a 99 plym voyager van so I could

Customer Question

Just bought a 99 plym voyager van so I could get my handicapped husband into the front passenger seat easier - lower seat than the explorer. The problem is that I need the passenger door to open wider. Is there a way to do this?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
There isn't any sort of standard or correct way to do it but it could be done. It's something out of the ordinary and not something all shops are going to want to do, but you should be able to find someone with the willingness and ingenuity to figure something out for you.
There are stops on the hinges that set the angle where the door is fully opened. What will need to be done is grind these off and then modify the stop locations to allow the door to open further. It will take a few hours of labor to do and may require removal of the door but I see no reason that a willing, competent shop wouldn't be able to make it work. A body shop or shop that specializes in handicap conversions would be best.