sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler Town and Country: Right Turn signal in 2007 town and

Customer Question

Right Turn signal in 2007 town and country. Comes on right after starting Van, however, after van is on 1 minute or so, stops working. Have already replaced the turn signal module and same result. Related issue is turn signal flashes much more dim than left turn signal, even for that one minute. Powering off then back on solves problem for one minute or so.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If the indicator on the instrument cluster comes on while the turn signals are flashing then an input from the switch is being seen, if the switch has been replaced then that would leave only a wiring or module issue as possibilities.
If the turn signals are dim on that side though it's more likely to be a front control module or integrated power module issue. Wiring and poor ground to the lights will make them dim, but if they're coming on and flashing by themselves but no indicator on the cluster then the front control module should be the issue.
It's going to take some electrical testing to determine what you have going on. Monitoring inputs and outputs of the FCM will be necessary to determine if it's actually seeing an input from the switch when it shouldn't.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two fuses did trip immediately preceding the beginning of the problem. They were the hazard lights fuse and the right turn lamp fuse. Does this help narrow down the possible source? I would rather troubleshoot and repair this myself if possible. If I have to utilize a dealership, how many labor hours would you estimate? And is this a fixed labor type of repair, or would the diagnosis and repair be open ended for most dealerships?
Cost to diagnose the problem would depend on how much time it took to do so.
Does the indicator on the cluster flash when the turn signals are flashing on their own?
Does the key have to be on for them to flash on their own?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, to specify further, it is only the exterior right tail lamp turn signal that malfunctions yes, the dashboard cluster turn signal indicator does flash, but ceases at the same time time the tail lamp fails. In other words, the dash cluster indicator seems linked to the tail light function. It was my first hint of a problems. The front turn signal is not affected and operates irrespective of the rear lamp failure. And yes, the turn signals require a key turned to the on position to function.
Without pressing the switch you get the right turn signal indicator and right rear turn signal only?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you say switch, I take it you mean the hazard light switch. All lights function upon hitting the hazard lights, for the first minute. At that point, the dash cluster light and and right tail light cease functioning. The other 3 turn signals/hazards continue to operate as appropriate.
You're saying that the right rear turn signal comes on and flashes by itself along with the indicator on the instrument cluster without pressing the turn signal switch, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, however I looked back, and can see where the original message was misconstrued.I am saying the right rear turn signal is not functioning properly, and ONLY comes on within the first minute or so of starting the vehicle, if the switch is pressed. After that initial time, the signal no longer will function.
Do you have a test light?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I am not sure what a test light is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, just looked it up. I certainly can get a test light.
If you'd like to pick one up I can help try and determine what you have going on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have one in hand tomorrow.
Ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With some relief, yet also some frustration, I must report that the problem spontaneously has resolved. I was showing a friend that is mechanically inclined the problem, and we both looked and pointed out possible causes and checked connectors.The problem continued for about one hour longer, then after going through a car wash, resolved. I have been running for several hours this afternoon with all turn signals operating correctly. It is bright, and flashes upon toggling the switch. Hazard function also working.Very frustrating as I am concerned the problem will resurface at a random time and date. Can you offer any advice as to which wire might be the culprit (color/location of wire)? I know there should be a wire from tail lamp to my IPM fuse and relay box, IPM to adapter, adapter to BCM, and BCM to turn signal multi-function switch.
Actually on your 2007 van the rear turn signals go straight from the body controller to the lights. The fronts go through the IPM but the rears do not.
The problem could be in the BCM, a short to ground or open in the wiring between the BCM and the lamp housing, or the problem could be with the circuit board on the lamp housing. The wire in question is white/brown and can be found in connector 2 of the body controller.