sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler New Yorker Fifth Avenue: A-604 after removing input

Customer Question

A-604 after removing input shaft tapered snap ring, the factory manual shows tapping end of shaft to remove it from the drum . stuck wont budge,
do I need to really put some pressure on it or is there possibly something wrong?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It will take a fair amount of force to remove the input shaft from the input clutch drum but it's possible you have damage. It's possible that the splines are partially twisted on the drum, shaft or both and it's preventing you from getting then to separate as easily as they should.
I've never had one that I couldn't get apart with the drum set loosely on a vise and tapping the shaft with a ball peen hammer. Use a socket or something similar to make sure you aren't going to take the shaft by hitting it directly, give it a decent hit and it should come loose. If not then you can try a shop press, but if it won't tap out then there is likely spline damage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. I've hit it pretty hard it's probably damaged. I appreciate your expertise. I'm going to order a used drum assembly on ebay. thanks again
You're welcome and good luck with it!