sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler 300m: Have a 2000 300m with electrical issues. New

Customer Question

Have a 2000 300m with electrical issues. New battery new cables new alternator, running alt charges 14-14.45 undrr full load. run vehicle for an hour shut off try to restart and battery is dead. Test with multi tool only showing 10.3 volts.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
Depending on where you're testing you either have a cable issue or a battery draw. If you're testing at the jump start posts then you may have a positive or negative cable issue at the battery if those aren't the ones that were replaced already. I've seen quite a few issues with the sections of cable right at the battery due to corrosion. The battery itself may be fully charged but voltage drop in the cables or connections is preventing that voltage from making it to the rest of the vehicle.
If those sections have been replaced and you're seeing the 10v right at the battery then you have a draw, assuming the battery load tests good. Something is staying powered up while the car is at rest and is killing the battery. The problem could be a light coming on such as the glovebox or trunk light, or it could be a module staying awake. What will need to be done is an ignition off draw test. An ammeter will need to be connected between a disconnected battery cable and it's post (or at the negative jump start post) and also connect a jumper wire. Press the lock button on the key fob and after about ten minutes you can remove the jumper wire. If more than about 40 mA is shown on the meter then there is cause for concern.
At that point you will need to remove fuses one at a time until the draw drops and then components on that circuit can be concentrated on.