Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.
12883947

Chrysler PT Cruiser: I have a 2008 pt cruiser. The horn a comes

Customer Question

I have a 2008 pt cruiser. The horn a comes on solid oasis of the blue. I smack the fuse box and it goes off. I hear a clicking just prior to it coming on . Horn relay?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.My name is ***** ***** the expert your requested to answer your question is Offline at this moment so I decided to help you.Just a quick description of how it works:Your vehicle uses a pretty complex system to control the horn.There is a Totally integrated Power Module ( TIPM= "smart" fuse relay box) located under the hood that actually controls and supplies power to your horns.The TIPM receives "Horn Request"signal from your instrument panel cluster that is hardwired to the horn switch, so when you press the horn switch, it sends signal to the cluster and the cluster then sends signal to the TIPM that in turn supplies power to the horns.The horn switch is mounted under the driver airbag , it consists of 4 pads providing electrical contact the horn is pressed.A faulty horn switch could be the most probable reason for the problem you described. It could also be a wiring issue, like an intermittent short to ground. It is worth to inspect wiring harness in the steering column area ( may need to remove some shrouds).I have seen it before several times when horn comes by itself out of the blue and the problem was a fautly switch. You mentioned that hitting the fuse box stops it, well if you can confirm it always stops that, then it could be something within the TIPM . As far as I remember it does not have a separate/ replaceable horn relay, it is just an internal part of the TIPM. Let me know how it goes. Thanks
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 1 year ago.
I am just checking if my answer helped you and if you might need more assistance.
I would also be happy to know what you have found and what the problem was.
If you are happy with my answers and find it useful, could you please actually rate my answer as OK Service or higher so that I can get paid for my time and effort?
This is the only way we (experts) get paid here on JustAnswer.
If you need more assistance, please just reply back.
Kind regards,
Vlad.