Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Chrysler Pacifica Touring: I have a problem similar to the

Customer Question

I have a problem similar to the one I'm reading about here, (gas needle drops around 1/2 tank) but in addition, getting gas into the tank at all is is very very slow. Yesterday, I had the "eism vent assy" replaced, and it didn't correct this problem at all.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris (aka - Moose) replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris,This is the question I posted.I have a problem similar to the one I'm reading about here, (gas needle drops around 1/2 tank) but in addition, getting gas into the tank at all is is very very slow. Yesterday, I had the "eism vent assy" replaced, and it didn't correct this problem at all.You have not yet answered this question, but you have already taken the money out of my account. Your email said you had answered my question. What kind of business practice is this? I don't have any problem with waiting for the answer, but I have no evidence yet that I am getting the product I agreed to pay for. Do have an answer to the actual question I asked?
To diagnose the fuel gauge reading incorrect we need to do some testing with an OHM meter, do you have one and know how to use it. The failure would be the sender in the tank or the instrument cluster. For the slow fuel fill issue we need to do a few things, those include removing and checking the filler neck for a blockage, checking the tank vent to see if its faulty and disconnect and test the EVAP vent. The fuel tank will likely need to be removed. Are these things you can do? You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuel gauge issue I think I know the answer to, at least in part; so it's of secondary importance at this point. I read in another answer that it has to do with the fact that there are two sides to this tank and perhaps the pump from the one side to the other is not working as it should. The problem I'd like to solve first is getting gas into the tank at a normal rate. I disconnected the hose going from the gas cap (the outside) to the tank itself and inserted a smaller hose through from the outside to where the hose connects to the tank. No blockages. I also inserted the smaller hose (not related to the car itself) further into the tank and felt where it seemed that there is a valve or float valve of some kind that can open and close. It seemed functional. That's about as far as I have gotten to this point, other than what my mechanic did, which I included in my first post.As far as my ability and resources go: before cars got so heavily computerized, I used to be a fair shade-tree mechanic. At this point, I am working with a set of tools limited to standard off-the-shelf stuff, what used to be sufficient for most auto-mechanical work. I don't have a lift, so this limits my access to the underneath of the car. I do my work in our garage, and just have jacks and stands for getting the car a foot or so off the ground.I was surprised to find that when I disconnected the hose from (bottom of) the tank, the gas gas didn't come out. And it doesn't seem like it would be possible to siphon gas from the tank. I really don't understand how the tank works. A brief explanation would help me to assess whether I have the ability to work through the problem myself. Thanks.
Look over the information below, this will tell and show you more than I can type out.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/07pacificafueltank.pdfhttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/07touring.pnghttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/07slowfuelfill.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris,This is a lot of good information. It may take some time to try some of the tests in the sequence prescribed in the third document. I'll try some of this tomorrow. How long can this conversation last before it is concluded and I have to provide a rating? I want to give both of us the best chance to succeed. Is there a time limit?
With no rating the post will time out and close in 7 days from the time you asked it. With a rating it will never close.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, Chris. Thanks. I did notice that these diagrams are for a rear-wheel drive. Mine is a front wheel drive. That shouldn't make much of a difference for the fuel tank design, but if it does make any difference, please do let me know. I've got the car up on ramps, so that does give me a bit more room. I'll get back later if I've got a question.
The tank design and removal steps are the same for both drive lines except for drive shaft removal not needed on your model.