sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

99 300m w/autostik. loaned car to brother he said the lever

Customer Question

99 300m w/autostik. loaned car to brother he said the lever was stuck to shift it todrive from parkhe said it was stuck or sticking an he pulled the shifter cable thru the houseing ,had it replaced so now whats happens is the steering column wont "click" locked upon removal of the key.(,so now i suspect the open circuit is why the batterykeeps dying.which is another problem). I would like to know how to fix the non locking steering wheel
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The column won't immediately lock into position when the key is turned like some do. For the column to lock it may need to be turned ninety degrees in either direction depending on where it's at when the key is turned off.
If it truly isn't locking then the problem is in the column and it would need to be replaced but I'm doubting there is an issue. Try removing the key and turn the steering wheel, I believe you'll find it will lock when it's turned.