Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chrysler Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Chrysler: Am sitting along road in 05 pt cruiser. Engine light

Customer Question

Am sitting along road in 05 pt cruiser. Engine light was blinking. I was going 80 mph with cruise on. My speed jumped to 85 and the temp gage started rising as the engine light started blinking. I slowed down and temp went back to normal. I pulled over. Light was still blinking. Eeek! When motor is running it isnt smooth. Like its missing.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

This will happen when there is a misfire in the electronics in the engine. This can be anything from a broken belt for the alternator, to a spark plug that is misfiring. The reason it blinks is because it is important to repair soon before it leads to more damage. Usually the cat converter because it will get ruined and they can cost upwards of $1000 or higher to replace.

What we would do if it were in my shop is connect it up to a computer and see which system is setting the warning and it will give out diagnoses to help diagnose it but unfortunately there isnt much you can do yourself to repair it...but that's what is happening.

Larry

I hope that i have provided the information you were seeking. If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you. If you have another question about this please let me know so l can continue to help you.

Any further questions? If not please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.

Thank you!