Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
3195632

Chrysler town country Limited: programing transtmitter key

Customer Question

programing transtmitter key for 2011 town country limited
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,

Whatever directions were sent with it are INCORRECT. A scan tool is REQUIRED, as well as a secret key code that only a dealership has access to. There is NO self programming method.

Sorry that you were so badly misinformed on this. Below is straight from the factory service manual

A
2011 Chrysler Truck Town & Country V6-3.6L

PROGRAMMING IGNITION KEYS TO THE WIN

The secret key is an ID code that is unique to each WIN. This code is programmed and stored in the WIN, the PCM, and each ignition key transponder chip. When the PCM or WIN is replaced, it is necessary to program the Secret Key Code into the new module using a diagnostic scan tool. Follow the programming steps outlined in the diagnostic scan tool for PCM REPLACED, WIN REPLACED, or TIPM REPLACED under MISCELLANEOUS FUNCTIONS for the WIRELESS CONTROL MODULE menu item as appropriate.

NOTE: Programming the PCM or WIN is done using a diagnostic scan tool and a PIN to enter secure access mode. If three attempts are made to enter secure access mode using an incorrect PIN, secure access mode will be locked out for one hour. To exit this lockout mode, turn the ignition to the RUN position for one hour and then enter the correct PIN. Be certain that all accessories are turned OFF. Also, monitor the battery state and connect a battery charger if necessary.

Each FOBIK has a unique ID code that is assigned at the time the key is manufactured. When a key is programmed into the WIN, the module learns the transponder ID code and the transponder acquires the unique Secret Key ID code from the WIN.

CAUTION: Read all notes and cautions for programming procedures.

NOTE: If you are also replacing the PCM and/or WCM/WIN refer to the module/programming order replacement guide before starting See: Computers and Control Systems > Programming and Relearning > Module/Programming Order Replacement Guide.

1. Connect a battery charger to the vehicle.
2. Connect the scan tool.
3. Have a unique vehicle PIN readily available before running the routine.
4. Ignition key should be in RUN position.
5. Select "ECU View".
6. Select "WIN Wireless Control".
7. Select "Miscellaneous Functions."
8. Select "Program Ignition Keys or Key FOBs", Start
9. Enter the PIN when prompted.
10. Verify the correct information.
11. Cycle ignition key after the successful routine completion.

NOTE: If the original keys do not successfully program to the new WIN after the proper procedures are followed correctly, programming new keys will be necessary.

NOTE: A maximum of eight keys can be learned by the WIN. Once a key is learned by a WIN, that key has acquired the Secret Key for that WIN and cannot be transferred to any other WIN or vehicle.

NOTE: Have the vehicle PIN readily available before running the routine

2. With the wiTECH diagnostic application, perform the following steps:
- Select "WIRELESS CONTROL MODULE (WCM)"
- Select the "MISCELLANEOUS FUNCTIONS" tab
- Highlight "PROGRAMMING IGNITION KEYS OR KEY FOBS"
- Select "NEXT"
- Enter the PIN when prompted.
- Select "NEXT"
- Verify that the PIN number is *****
- Once verified select "NEXT"
- Note On-Screen instructions and select the "FINISH" button
- Cycle ignition key twice after the successful routine completion.

NOTE: If the original keys do not successfully program to the new WCM after the proper procedures are followed correctly, programming new keys will be necessary.

NOTE: A maximum of eight keys can be learned by the WIN. Once a key is learned by a WIN, that key has acquired the Secret Key for that WIN and cannot be transferred to any other vehicle.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks