sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler PT Cruiser: . PT cruiser 2004 slightly rough

Customer Question

hello. PT cruiser 2004 slightly rough idle sometimes. Works great while driving. Also stumbles as I'm coming to a stop.
Changed spark plugs..no change. Have not changed the spark plug wires yet nor have I searched for leaks.
Can this be a broken valve?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
Plug wires are the most common cause of misfires on these engines. They will develop a condition where spark travels down the inside of the boot on the outside of the plug porcelain which will damage the plug and wire at the same time. Check for gray streaks inside the boots, if you do see them then the wires will need to be replaced as well as the affected plugs.
If the wires are ruled out and the problem remains then the EGR valve may be sticking partially open or possibly a vacuum leak. If you have a turbo engine it isn't uncommon for the intake gasket to leak at the cylinder head joint, usually at the number 4 cylinder runner.