Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Chrysler 300m: I have a 99 Chrysler 300m that has a parasitic

Customer Question

I have a 99 Chrysler 300m that has a parasitic draw I did the ohm test and found 3 fuses that make the ohms drop when I pull them. 1 is in the engine bay and it's the 30amp fuse for the stp lamps. Three other 2 are in the cab, 1 is the 20 amp #7 illum lamps/park lamps. The other is 20 amp #18 horn amp. I have no idea what to do now? I also have an aftermarket alarm installed professionally from best buy before I purchased the car, it's the only thing I could see linking these 3 together. Please help
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. You should be doing a amperage draw test, not ohm test. How long does it take battery to go dead?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About a day, depending on how charged the battery is, I just replaced the battery yesterday and have those 3 fuses pulled so I believe it's still ok today. I did that test to determine a what fuses were causing the draw. I have no idea how to do an amp draw test
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was actually an amp draw test that I did not ohm I'm sorry
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Ok, give me a few minutes to look into these circuits. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You don't have to call if not necessary, it just pooped up on my screen and I'm new to this. It's completely up to you
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like the body control module has failed which is fairly common. Unplug module to see if draw stops, if so replace. Here are replacement instructions, let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.
-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l6lesyj7hw878iz/bcm1.pdf?dl=0
-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvrge1cxskhduln/bcm2.pdf?dl=0
-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fnc3jsfrf27ytcg/bcm3.pdf?dl=0
-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** *****'s the bcm? Is it behind the junction block? I'm not able to see it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nevermind I found it thank you
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
No problem, let me know if you run into questions. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled the module from the junction box(left all wires attached just billed whole box out from pins) the reading is still .580? I'm not sure that's the problem, what do you think?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
It should have under a .1 draw. Remove each fuse one at a time to let me know which one drops it. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's still drops alot when I pull the horn amp fuse and it's also says .5 something with the bcm plugged in after about 5 min
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's those 3 fuses that I told you about before doesn't seem to matter after 5 min if I pull the bcm or not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With all 3 pulled it goes down to .035
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
This fuse also powers amplifier for stereo which could cause issue. Unplug amp and let me know if amperage draws, here is a picture to help locate.
-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ks6fj9yn2ifok2r/amp.pdf?dl=0
-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I unplugged the rear amp and that took it down to .060 with all fuses plugged in and bcm also
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
That would mean the amp is the problem, replace and all should be good. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's at .056 with the rear amp unplugged. Then if I pull that same fuse in the engine bay for the stp lamps it drums down to .036?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
.056 should be fine. Replace amp and let me know if battery tops dying, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should the next step be would you think?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to replace it or can I just unplug it? Would it really make a difference?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Unplugging it will work but it will effect your radio. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now that I have the junction and the back all back installed the speakers inside the car don't work anymore and the interior trunk pop doesn't work either. I plugged the rear amp back in and still nothing? Any ideas? Thank you
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Does any of the electrical work? Does it turn over?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any ideas on why this might be happening now? I'm completely stuck and have no idea what to do next
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Does any of the electrical work? If your sure everything is connected I'd double check the fuses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything works except the interior speakers and the trunk pop all the fuses are good and everything is connected. Still no luck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything works great except those two things, it starts, drives and all electronics work. Any ideas?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
The speakers will not work with the amp disconnected. There should also be a separate fuse on interior fuse box for trunk release which is controlled by the body control module. Let me know how it goes, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got a new amp, connected it and still no sound from the speakers? Also there doesn't seem to be a fuse on the interior box for the trunk pop at all. I've exercised all of my ideas and options asst this point and simply cannot figure it out
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Check fuse 4, 18, and 19. Those are all for the amp. Let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced all three still nothing. What could be going on? Is almost worse than when we started
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Remove amp and check pins 1 and 12 for good power. Let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The battery is also dead again now also. Should I maybe see if anyone else has any input? What do you think? this is dragging on far too long
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you think? Thanks