sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler Sebring Limited: 2008 Chrysler Sebring had the clip

Customer Question

2008 Chrysler Sebring had the clip for my shifter replaced two years ago, same issue this year now they are saying its rust in the valve body and want to charge 800.00 to fix it not under powertrain warranty. The car has 41K mile, feeling like I am getting taken.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If they're saying that the issue is rust then it isn't related to a problem with the shifter.
I'm assuming it does come out of park but the shifter is stiff. What happens is the manual valve rod from the valve body rusts and swells, which causes it to drag in the hole where it passes through the transmission case. This will cause the shifter to be very stiff, getting progressively worse.
Replacing the valve body is one way to go about it but I've always been able to clean up the rod as best as possible before removing the valve body, remove it and then remove the rust from the rest of the shat. This can be done with just fluid and filter for parts and about two hours of labor.