sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler: OK, I have a 2008 Grand Cherokee that came with two

Customer Question

OK, I have a 2008 Grand Cherokee that came with two remote entry fobs (not sure I'm using the correct terms). I was unaware of the SKIS so when my Jeep wouldn't start three weeks ago, I thought it was the battery, starter etc. But it was a very odd situation; there was no crank, the dash lights went on, but the power windows did not work and I couldn't shift it out of Park.
Ultimately I had to have it towed to the mechanic who services my car. He accessed a data base that contains error codes and found none. He called me later that day and said he tried recycling the key and it started 10 times in a row. For about two weeks I had no problems and then the exact problem returned.
I found my backup key, which was missing the back panel that accesses the battery. The battery was hanging out but when I pressed it into its compartment, the car started. I took the panel off the primary key and placed it on the backup and the key seems to work.
I've spoken with a half dozen automotive locksmiths and they say that the battery is only for opening and closing the doors, not for starting the car. Is it possible that my primary key wore down? It worked for 2 weeks straight without a problem and then nothing.
Any ideas?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It's definitely possible that the first key has failed. It it won't start with that key and at the same time it starts with the opposite then that is a cut and dry failure of the key. There is a transponder in the key that communicates with the wireless ignition node, if the key isn't validated then the engine won't start.