Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited: I have a 2001 PT Cruiser that

Customer Question

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser that has started overheating when I turn on the AC. I checked the coolant and it is fine and I changed the radiator cap. The cap looked a little twisted so I replaced it. The car ran fine for about a day then it started getting warm again. It now seems to only go up about 3/4 of the way on the heat gauge instead of into the red but I can still hear boiling. I never had any smoke or anything come out. Other then that the car runs great. I have no trouble when its running the heat only when i have the AC on. I have not burped the system or run a fan test. Thats my job for tomorrow morning. My local mechanic wants $200 just to diagnose the problem. seems like highway robery to me. I've been reading through forums and it looks like the fan or the thermostat are the most likely issues.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Vipertech replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. The radiator fan on this vehicle is a single fan but has two speeds build into it. The connector for the fan assembly has 3 wires....one ground and 2 power feeds (one for each speed). You need to check to see if both speeds work. The connector is accessed from underneath the vehicle on the drivers side of the radiator. It should be held in place on the fan shroud. I recommend suppling a 12 volt source to each of the two fan speeds to see if both work. If issue with either of the fan speeds then replace the fan assembly. The connector has a black wire which is the ground. The other 2 wires will then be the speed circuits. IT would be great if you had a "power probe" so that you could energize the two speeds. Otherwise you would need a scanner to actuate each speed to see if they visually work. Other option is to start vehicle with a/c off and wait until the coolant temp gets high enough to turn fan on.....then check with the a/c on to see if you hear a difference in speed. The fan is a very common issue on the PT cruiser. Here is a link to a video I made on replacing it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2vOl4cynQo