sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler Pt cruiser convertible: '05 PT Cruiser convBattery

Customer Question

'05 PT Cruiser conv
Battery dead for 24hrs
No window or top electric function
Otherwise runs, radio works etc
Easy fix? Can I do it myself with a car smart friend?
What shud I expect at dealer's?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The issue is most likely with the power top control module. The PTCM controls obviously the top functions but it also controls window operation. The module will likely need to be replaced if this happened as a result of the battery being dead. Replacing the module is something you may be able to handle yourself.

Have fuses been checked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I wud ask why dead battery wud fritz the ptcm? Seems a bit unlikely somehow. Yr degree of confidence it's "that simple?" I'm not trying to attack you in saying this, merely trying to grasp yr certainty of this situation within the context of this cars notorious flaky electricals.
Other possibilities? And if I may: how familiar are you w Chrysler or PT electric/tronics
Also, in being honest this has happened twice before (why I don't carry a jump box car starter was just stupid--I was warned by dealer to avoid dead battery as it messes up the electrics).
Their solutions in past repairs did not include any new parts and were expensive poking around that seemed to solve the problem, but they weren't confident the repair wud "stick." I'm looking for a cheaper and more solid approach to fixing, and the ptcm may be it--just seems odd it wud go bad just being w/o power.
The other possibility would be wiring.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, but wiring is hardly going to be so immediately linked to or triggered by a dead battery.
Isn't more likely a computer going fuzzy than a piece of hardware??
Can you more directly answer my previous? Meaning: how familiar are you with, specifically Chrysler and also PT cruiser electrical issues?
That's why I said the problem is most likely the module but you didn't appear to believe so.
I have been a Chrysler dealer technician since before the PT Cruiser came out and have been one of the top trained techs in the zone for nearly my entire career. I have been the top performing expert in the Chrysler, dodge and jeep categories as well as the administration appointed mentor for nearly my entire seven years on this site.
Your question is open for others.