sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited: Sorry I was chatting with you

Customer Question

Sorry I was chatting with you about my 2001 PT Cruiser and I lost connection and then had trouble finding you again.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
P1496 sets when the 5v reference voltage circuit has been pulled low. this is the circuit that the TPS and MAP sensors both rely on to produce a signal.
This code can be set by an internal short in either sensor, a short to ground on the circuit anywhere in the harness between the sensors and powertrain control module, or the issue could be the PCM itself.
If the sensors have been ruled out then the next step will be testing for a short to ground on the circuit. If it's shorted then the PCM can be unplugged along with the sensors, if it's still grounded then there is a wiring issue.
If unplugging the PCM takes the short away then the problem is internal in the PCM.