Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I just installed a remanufactured engine in my 2003 dodge dakota

Customer Question

I just installed a remanufactured engine in my 2003 dodge dakota 4.7 litre. I am now getting an error code P0016 and 0344 crank position sensor and cam position sensor. I cleared the codes and I replaced each sensor and the code still immediately re-appears. Engine runs excellent except, it seems to go into limp mode at 3500 RPM if I push the accelerator all the way down. I am skeptical that the timing is out because it is a brand new engine that came with paperwork with timing verification and a quality control on that verification. Any thoughts?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. Welcome to our site. Let's begin by clarifiying what these codes really mean: first, P0016 which is just there to tell us the PCM is seeing a discrepancy between the cam and crank sensor signals - not to be taken as an indication the physical valve timing is off. Then we have P0344, which means the PCM is receiving an intermittent signal from the cam sensor.Having worked on these vehicles for a long time myself, I can tell you that there are two ways to pinpoint the failure that's causing DTC P0344; one is long and hard and requires lots of time and work; the other is short and sweet, but requires using a 2-channel scope (sold online for under $100 - click here to see an example).Which way would you like me to guide you through?
Going off-line for tonight. Be back tomorrow after 2PM ET.
Best Regards.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can get an Oscilloscope. I'm afraid that they sold me an engine that has the wrong tone ring for my pcm. What do I do if that is the problem.
There were major changes in engine control starting late in 2003. It is possible that the replacement engine you bought is a newer model and has the 32-tooth reluctor or tone wheel that's compatible only with the NGC computer. If that's the case, then your most practical options would be to either take the engine apart and replace the cam and crank reluctors to fit your JTEC computer, or exchange the whole engine for one that already has the older style 16-tooth reluctor - considering the amount of work involved in either option, I would definitely ask the engine vendor to share some if not all of the costs.
Kindly accept and rate my answer now if you think the information I've provided has helped you solve your issue. Otherwise, please reply.
Best Regards.
Hi again. Just checking to see if the information I provided helped you solve your issue. If it did, kindly accept and rate my answer now. If it didn't, please reply.
Best Regards.