Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

Chrysler New Yorker Turbo: .I have a 1987 Chrysler

Customer Question

Hello.
I have a 1987 Chrysler New Yorker 2.2L Turbo. This car has the Electronic Voice Alert (EVA) system. One thing I noticed is that it does not warn me if I've accidentally left my headlights on or keys in the ingnition. Other alerts like the door is ajar and prompting me to fasten my seatbelts, and fuel level low all work. Do you have any ideas of what the probelm might be? Fuse perhaps?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
hi i'm bill
welcome to just answer
please remember I am NOT there in front of you! my answers are based on your information
as I remember those cars and that system it was a VERY BASIC system, the technology of the day was far from what we have now,it DID NOT voice warn of headlights or keys, that was the old buzzer we used for some time.
did this car ever warn of those things??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting me. This is a second-hand car and I know for a fact that the car is supposed to have this feature. While not having a "buzzer", it IS supposed to have a continuous electronic beep tied to the EVA system. When you put the key into the ignition and turn it to the ACC position, it's supposed to provide a repeated beep (maybe 5 times) then stop (indicating that your keys are in the ignition). After the computer has detected that you put the car into gear and drove it, place it back into PARK, and turn the key to the OFF position, it is ssupposed to sound a double beep and say, "Don't forget your keys." and "Thank you." after taking it out. If your headlights are on after you've shut the engine off, the EVA system is supposed to say, "Your headlights are on." and when you turn them off it's supposed to say, "Thank you."There is a Youtube video on the same exact car that I have - Year and model - and this video shows you how it's supposed to be.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIpfUuRg1VE
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
sorry I have to opt out as I do not remember these being part of this feature, BUT someone else may DO NOT respond or it will lock you to me and no one else will be able to help