Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chrysler Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring: Seams like I'm losing the use

Customer Question

Seams like I'm losing the use of my power steering when I first start out.... after I'm able to hit the gas... power assist kicks in, and everything seems ok until I have to stop again... like at a stop light or something... any ideas??
Thanks,
Dave, Madison, WI
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like a weak pwr steering pump because it cant develop the proper pressure at lower RPMS and when you raise the RPM's the pump turns faster and makes the required pressure. Pretty common on these vehicles. Replace the pump and high pressure hose and it will correct this.
Larry
I hope that i have provided the information you were seeking. If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you. If you have another question about this please let me know so l can continue to help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you provide me with a link on how to perform this action or an online manual reference to complete this? also, a parts list would be helpful to compare prices easily for the pump and hose? Just a thought....Thanks, Dave
Does it have a turbo?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No turbo.
Thanks,
I uploaded the instructions to the link below.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/PS%20pump.pdf
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/warnings.PNG
As far as parts go, please try to stay with OEM if possible because the rebuilds we have used didn't last long. Maybe a year.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much......DaveAny idea how long this should take? I'm ;pretty handy with stuff like this.....
Book labor time is 2.4 hours.
Best wishes my friend!
Larry
If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.
Hi Dave,
Did you have any further questions? If not please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.
Take care
Larry