Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
3195632

Chrysler 200: I have a chrysler 200. The battery light was

Customer Question

I have a chrysler 200. The battery light was on and then the vehicle was not shifting to third gear. Then multiple lights started coming on including the heat the car eventually died. We jumped it to get home and since have put a new battery in and car seems to be running normal but battery light still on. I have a feeling we did not fix the whole problem. We have 96000 miles on it
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
The combination of the dead battery and the light still being on after replacing the battery means that the alternator is not charging.
This is either due to a bad alternator, or due to a bad voltage regulator. Unlike older cars that had the regulator inside or attached to the body of the alternator, yours like other newer vehicles, incorporates the voltage regulator into the powertrain control module(PCM), the main onboard computer.
If you have a voltmeter, I can walk you thru the testing. Otherwise, you will need a shop to test the alternator and the pcm to know which is faulty before replacing any parts
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks