sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler PT Cruiser: I have a 06 pt cruzer that intermittently

Customer Question

I have a 06 pt cruzer that intermittently fails to start. engine turns but it wnt catch. after it sits a while it starts and runs great. any thoughts?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
There are quite a few things that can cause a no start condition ranging from the fuel pump, ASD relay, lost cam or crank sensor signal, wiring issues, or even the powertrain control module itself.
If the problem happens only on a hot restart the most likely cause would be vapor lock due to a weak fuel pump check valve.
The first thing that shoudl be done is check for fault codes. If it's losing spark then there will almost surely be a code set that can be used as a starting point for diagnosis.
If there are no codes set then testing will need to be done while it's acting up to determine if it's missing spark or fuel and then diagnose the appropriate system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found no codes. the issue is not confined to a warm start condition. I scanned the codes with no result, it has been my experience that relay's, lost cam or crank sensor signal issues are fault no fault and not intermittent. I have seen fuel pumps fail when the tank is low on fuel I assume due to a weak diaphragm; however this is not the case in this instance as the car shows no "pop" at all. I am convinced that it is a ignition issue. I am beginning to suspect a possible issue with the alarm system. I am assuming that there is a disable function. I am also wondering about the existence of a security chip in the key fob? would a low battery in the fob possibly be the culprit?
You've physically confirmed that there is no spark?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I have not as the problem is intermittent and I have not had equipment with me. My thoughts are that there would be enough pressure in the fuel rail to at least give me a cough. unless the pump had failed completely, and then it would not run at all. I am working with limited knowledge here. All this computer stuff if past my pay grade.
The first thing you're going to need to do is confirm whether it's spark or fuel that you're missing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have confirmed that it is a spark failure.
Do you have a scan tool?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yup already scanned it. no codes stored or pending.
Are the cam and crank signals present while cranking?
What is cam/crank sync degrees while cranking?
Does it show ASD relay on while cranking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check it and get back with you.
Ok.