sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler Sebring Touring: I have an 07 Sebring. 4 cyl. It started

Customer Question

I have an 07 Sebring. 4 cyl. It started running rough, then stalled. Now when I turn the ignition on--the starter just keeps going and won't stop till I turn the car off. Mechanic says no spark. Cam and crank sensors are new OEM.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If the engine does crank then the powertrain control module is at least awake. If you have no spark it could be a number of things including failed coil drivers in the PCM, wiring, a cam/crank sync issue, a blown fuse or internal TIPM issue causing lack of power on the IOD circuit.
The first step in diagnosing the problem is to check for fault codes. Any issue causing a loss of spark should set a code. Do you know if any codes are setting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only code was a low voltage after much cranking. I am investigating the causes of loss of spark. I changed the plugs, they were in pretty bad shape. If I get spark, will the starter operate properly?
I'm sure the starter is operating as intended. If the engine doesn't start it will crank for about fifteen seconds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I have new cam sensors, crank sensor(OEM) If the wires are good, fuses good, then it is cheaper to send in PCM to be repaired/replaced than to have mechanic "diagnose" the problem. At that point, if it is not the PCM, then it is the TIPM. In which case it is $108 for a replacement that needs to be "programmed" or $600 for a new one that can just plug in. Does that sound about right? How could I program it?
Companies that claim to repair or rebuild modules have shown very poor quality. You can send it out if you wish but it would be cheaper and easier to pay an hour's worth of diagnostic time at a shop if you're unable to diagnose it yourself.
A replacement TIPM does not need to be programed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The code that read was 562--low voltage, which I read could be battery, alternator or the TIPM. I found a TIPM (refurbished) which is for the AG or AL TIPM. These are said to fit 07 sebring 2.4 4L. However MY TIPM is the AH unit. Do you think would be a problem?
The last letter is just the revision level, if the rest of the part number matches then it's the same part.