Chris
Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician
12365498

Re: 05 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Convertible: I had the car at

Customer Question

Re: 05 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Convertible: I had the car at my mechanics garage for water pump issue. (Unrelated to this question.) He told me the Turbo" wasn't working". I have owned the car for about 4 yrs. and thought maybe it never worked and I couldn't
tell the difference. I can tell the difference. The car always had great pick up and was quick. Now it drives like the old 4 cylinders from the 80's, when the A/C is on it goes nowhere. In your opinion, can the Turbo "not working" be something minor or is
it usually a major issue? My mechanic seemed to brush it off and I had the impression he didn't have much knowledge regarding it. I know it is difficult to diagnose a problem but I just wanted your opinion. Thank you for your time. Dan
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. First of all it is very noticeable if the turbocharger fails. It is a huge loss of power, so the mechanic is probably correct. Replacing a turbocharger on your PT is a fairly big job. It takes about 6 hours of labor, and the turbocharger itself is around $1200.00 or so. You might be able to save some money by having your turbo rebuilt. Note when you do the job, make sure the mechanic replaces the oil supply line to the turbo. We see those lines get clogged up and if you do not replace it, then the new turbo will fail soon.
I hope this helps!
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any possibility that it could something, that can be diagnosed, in which it can be repaired and not rebuilt or replaced?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Oh yes. It could be something else like a problem with the turbo waste gate or other problem. For sure get it properly diagnosed before doing anything else.
Chris