Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  #@ years in the Automotive repair field.
7276279

I have a 2003 GT PT cruiser that will not start but

Customer Question

Hello I have a 2003 GT PT cruiser that will not start but will crank. The problem started first after I would drive and then stop. I would have to wait for a little while then it would start up. was not running rough at any time. I ran a diagnostic and
changed crank shaft sensor, cam shaft, sensor, plugs , coil and still wont start. I sprayed start fuel in and did not start (this has a turbo and was spraying it into the turbo after removing air breather) I checked the fuses and found nothing. I assume the
fuel pump is fine if the car will not start after using the start fuel. The only thing I can think of is the timing belt. There one other problem that I am not sure if it is related. The doors intermittently lock and unlock by them self without pushing the
entry button. I understand that the BCM controls this. Is it possible the BCM can prevent the car from starting or would you think that is unrelated and the problem is the timing belt? car has 75000 miles.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
I would start with checking the timing belt, its broken and or jumped it will set cam sensor codes. You can either remove the cover and or remove the spark plugs and run a compression set. If the compression checks low on all cylinder then the belt is at fault and in most cases if the belt jumped or broke your going to need to remove the head to check for valve damage. Check this and let me now and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled the timing cover over an can see the belt moving but I can not see if it has any broken teeth causing it to slip but I think that is the problem. I will check the belt this weekend. If thats not the problem I guess the only other thing it could be would be the computer. Do you think that could be a problem I have been having weird things going on with the door locks locking and unlocking by them self
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
You can also run a compression test to check the timing, if the belt has slipped the compression will read low. DO this before you tear it down. The computer would not have any control over the door locks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks I will try that
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Im here if you need me as well, please take a moment to rate my service, the question remains open for follow ups after doing so and thank you again.