Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
3195632

Chrysler PT Cruiser: My cam censor was replaced twice in two

Customer Question

My cam censor was replaced twice in two years now they are saying if it goes again it's the timing belt.is this true ? My 2006 pt cruser only has forty seven thousand miles
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Quite possibly it is. If the timing belt has jumped a tooth, it will set a code for the cam sensor or the crank sensor. Timing belts not only wear from mileage, but weaken and dry rot which can cause a belt tooth to break off due to age, which yours is 9 yrs old. It is made of the same basic material as the serpentine belt and dry rots, cracks, and frays over time. This is why yours is supposed to be replaced every 60,000 miles OR every 84 months(7yrs). So yours is actually 2 yrs overdue.
The other possible causes are a faulty crankshaft position sensor, which can throw a code for camshaft/crankshaft correlation out, or a short in the wiring harness.
So the timing cover should be removed and the timing belt inspected, the camshaft sensor wiring harness inspected for breaks, cuts or chafing and the crank sensor tested IF a fault code for the cam sensor returns.
In the meantime, I would suggest having the timing belt replaced when you can budget it. If the timing belt breaks on this engine, it wrecks the top half of the engine and increases the cost of repair by about $2500.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks