George H.
George H., ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

Chrysler Town & Country LXi: my 98 t and c front wiper

Customer Question

my 98 t and c front wiper sticks in outward position and motor can be heard trying to continue moving it. pushing it will bring the arm back down but it then goes back up and sticks. bad motor, linkage, ???
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,
Yes, the linkage has come apart, I would replace the whole thing with a used one you can find through car-part.com. I think you will find several there for a very reasonable price.
Note which wiper arm you remove from which side and pull them off. It is easy to remove the cowling if the screws cooperate.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26725849/link.pdf
Copy and paste that link into a new browser tab and let me know how I can help. Once you pull the arms and the cowling you will see the bolts for the linkage. See if the link bushings are shot, if they are you can replace them with channel lock pliers and sockets and they are available at your parts store.
Let me know how I can help you with this
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
"remove the cowling" uh, ok. star type screws x 4 removed, but then the cowling is connect under the hood with thin plate "nuts" on top and some sort of screw or stud from below which is not visible. how does one remove these? if indeed they need to be removed.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
The cowling has the torx screws you found, you remove the top side then the side that is overlapped is removed.
I don't have a video or schematic of the fastener locations but general hand tools are used to remove them
Please let me know how I can help
\
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. so those studs with the thin plate "nuts" need to have the"nuts" removed somehow????
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Can you post a picture of what you are seeing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will try to. give a minute or so.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf2GoV2WX1w
That video shows most of the procedure, if you have never done a wiper module on the Chrysler vans it hits most of the high points.
P;ease let me know if that helps
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ac tually that video is about spark plug replacement. any way, cowling is off. linkage appears completely intact and solid. however, while looking at the wiper motor, standing at front of car, and turning it on, it stops at the 11 o'clock position at each rotation, makes a struggle noise, until pushed beyond that point whence it circles again until resticks a 11 o'clock. ??? sounds more like the motor now?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
To replace the spark plugs you remove the wiper module which is the task you need to perform.
You can take the motor out of the wiper module and inspect, once you have the cowling off you can either remove the entire module and swap in a replacement you can find through car-part.com or you can unfasten the linkage motor and all from the pan the wiper module sits in. It is just a series of 10mm bolts to remove. A lot of them so I use a power tool.
Please let me know how I can help
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any trick to getting motor off the linkage assembly; assembly is out, but do i need a special pulling tool??
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
The motor is attached with a ball stud to the linkage, if you remove the nut you can leave the ball in the linkage and install the wiper arm linkage to the new motor.
A couple of things, you want to run the motor and allow it to park and then install the wiper linkage arm to the motor in the parked position. If you get those two in synch install the module on the vehicle and cycle it a few times marking the wiper pivots with a sharpie to be sure they are parking then install the arms in the parked position.
Please let me know how I can help
Thank you