sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler chrysler: I have a 02 Chrysler sebring that knocks

Customer Question

I have a 02 Chrysler sebring that knocks and then shuts down. I changed the oil and filter I also added some lucas oil treatment. I still have the same problem, however not as bad. what is my best solution.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
You may have a few things going on.
You may actually be hearing spark knock or backfiring due to it running lean. It could be running lean due to an upstream oxygen sensor issue or low fuel pressure.
If the knock noise is actually in the engine and isn't spark knock then it could be coming from a loose timing chain (which could be the chain itself, a guide, tensioner or water pump issue), or it could be a lower end issue such as a rod or main bearing.
If there are no fault codes setting and you believe it's a mechanical engine noise rather than spark knock then disassembly will be necessary to see what is going on. If the noise seems to be coming from the timing cover area then I would remove the timing cover and valve covers first to inspect the timing chain, guides, tensioner and water pump.