sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler Sebring JXi (Convertible): 2010 sebring hardtop..

Customer Question

2010 sebring hardtop.. top not secure message.....top is up...windows will not close the last little bit....top will not go down either. BTW...My wife drove it this morning, let top down and then back up. That's when the above problems started. Nothing is in the trunk. Have moved the guards and re-secured them...no help, problem still exists.
Any ideas? Take it to the dealer..
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If the top is closed but you're seeing a message that the top is not secure then the power top control module isn't seeing proper input from one of the microswitches. There are switches throughout the system that monitor the position of all components to ensure they are in the correct state during operation.
Most likely you have a header latch motor, linkage or switch related issue.
You can try a battery disconnect if you haven't already. IF that doesn't help then the next step will be to see what fault codes are set in the power top control module and/or look at switch and inhibit data. Electrical testing will most likely need to be done from that point to see what is going on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One thing I didn't mention, when driving the car the top has a sugnificant rattle in the latch area near the top of the windshield.
It's very likely that the header has not latched then. I don't believe the top is fully closed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Visually looking from the outside, it looks like it is good and tight.
What has to be done to get it to open, bypass limit switches or is there s way to plug in to the computer and force it to bypass/open?
The top components can all be moved with a scan tool. The only way to get it to operate is going to be with a scan tool or by repairing the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Autozone has scan tools, will they be able to open it?
AUtozone will have an OBDII code reader that's capable of reading fault codes from the powertrain control module. What would be necessary is an actual scan tool and one that is able to communicate with the power top control module.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm being told by the dealer that the trunk module is bad and needs to be replaced before any further trouble shooting can be done. At s cost of $450.00, and you say?
Do you have a part number for what they want to replace?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I dont.
I wouldn't really have a reason to doubt their diagnosis at this point but something is being lost in translation somewhere as there isn't a part called a trunk module.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The trunk won't open unless the key is used. The button in the car nor on the remote will open it.
The trunk isn't going to open electrically if the top isn't fully closed.