Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chrysler Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Chrysler PT Cruiser: My mother has a 2001 Pt cruiser. It has

Customer Question

My mother has a 2001 Pt cruiser. It has approx. 70k miles. I was driving at approximately 10 miles an hour when the timing belt broke. Having a tough time finding a mechanic who wants to work on the car. Most automatically say engine is probably gone or will charge as much as 500.00 just to determine if engine is gone. Does this sound accurate. My mom really wants to keep her car.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately this has what is called an interference engine. That means that if the belt breaks, the valves can hit the pistons and bend the valves so the head would need to be rebuilt.

It is possible that it didnt bend the valves because it was only 10 MPH but they would have to replace the timing belt to find out, or remove the head. It costs about $500 to replace the belt.

Unfortunately it is expensive to rebuild the head but it has low miles so it would be worth it.

I hope that i have provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you. If you have another question about this please let me know so l can continue to help you.

I was editing my answer when you looked at it so it may have changed a bit, so if you have any questions please just ask :-)

LJ