Robert
Robert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Sprinter Van Certified
49095596

I have a 2007 chrysler 300 TOURING EDITION. I have check

Customer Question

I have a 2007 chrysler 300 TOURING EDITION. I have check engine light that came on and the code is 1004. Now I have oil in the coolant container. Already took it to mechanic and said it was the head gasket, it was "FIXED" but 2 if even days later checked water and again oil in coolant container but no water in either oil. The car runs fine no problems apart from the 1004 code and every once and awhile have to start twice.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
What engine is in your Chrysler 300?
What else was replaced or repaired other than the head gaskets?
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's 3.5l v6. Well they said that someone had replaced b4 but didn't remove it well. I guess just set it on over the old so DATS why it was leaking. They put in spark plugs because there was water moister or water had made its way to the plugs and they were get rusted I guess? To my understanding?
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
The 1004 code is not a valid diagnostic trouble code. What procedure was used to retrieve this code?
Was there a large amount of oil in the coolant bottle?
Was the oil level still full?
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The code was retrieved 2 different ways. 1st I had did the turn key to on n than twice ACC ON. second was a mechanic not the ones who REPAIRED. He used a machine, a lil hand held, kinda looked like a battery charger. The first time YES!!!! Lets just say u stick ur finger in as far as possible and really not even that much, actually now that
I think about it it was at eyes view. So basically to the very top. And now two days later from picking up the car at chrysler dealer shop it's just about I say maybe no more than a cup and a half of oil . I noticed cuz of the dark rim towards the engine side of container. The engine oil is ok. Now to me the transmission oil is a lil low. I stuck a rod made sure it was clean n it had barely the tip, but it was off . I knw u supposed to check while car on but this is my first chrysler n it has no dipstick that I can see so didn't want to take a chance .
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
With a bit more digging, I found the P1004 code. This is for Short Runner Valve Performance, This may be why it stalls intermittently. Usually this requires replacement of the Short Runner Valve Actuator assembly...
Here is the diagnostic procedure for that code..
Attachment: --Click here--to view
As for the oil in coolant, it may be possible that they just didn't get all the oil out of the cooling system the first time. At this time, I recommend to run a couple more flushes on the cooling system to clean out the rest of the oil. Use a good chemical flush and after flushing a couple times using clean running water, refill with 50/50 coolant and water mix...
If it does it again after this, I suspect that there may still be a problem that will require further diagnosis... Keep in mind that if this vehicle is equipped with an engine oil cooler, this may be where the oil is entering the cooling system....
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
______________________________________
Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer.
Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...
Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for good answers is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So the reason the car sometimes does not start on the first crank is due to SRVA?? And how exactly can I do the flushing myself or what do i need or what do i buy to do it. Bcuz do the steep gasket bill I'll be doing it myself😊
How would I knw if my car is an engine oil cooler?
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
It could be that or possibly a condition where the fuel pump doesn't keep enough residual pressure in the fuel system causing a condition where the fuel pressure doesn't build sufficiently to start on the first try... This could be easily diagnosed with a fuel pressure gauge....As for flushing, yes, do this yourself if you have to, just purchase the chemical flush and coolant at your local parts store... I would probably try getting the dealer to do it for free since they didn't get it all out the first time around.... On the Oil Cooler, If you post the last 8 digits of the VIN, I can check to see if it is equipped with the engine oil cooler...I'll need until tomorrow to find out as I need to check from the shop when I'm at work tomorrow... If you have the VIN available now, post it and I'll get back with you in the morning when I have some info for you...logging off for the night I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated. Thank you... Robert Thank you, Robert