sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler PT Cruiser: 2008 pt cruiser 100k had a/c replaced

Customer Question

2008 pt cruiser 100k had a/c replaced good mech. napa parts mech. replaced condenser also short trips around town a/c works great !30-40 miles stops blowing cold stop car for half hour or so a/c works fine again. 50 +miles a/c compresser clutch starts to burn up on my fourth compresser now ! my mech. and parts guy are pulling out there hair trying to figure this out help!
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
original compressor burned up its clutch the same way its doing now. low pressure switch was replaced also prior to new compressor and condenser
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
these napa compressors are new not repeat not rebuilds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the mech.replaced the main high/low pressure lines after the second compressor went
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.
good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist
when the ac stops working at 30-40 miles, is the compressor still engaged???
do you have exact pressure readings when it is hot???
it sounds like an electrical issue with the clutches burning up. check the voltage at the compressor clutch especially when it is hot. is the diode still there at the connector on the rngine harness side of the compressor clutch??
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the inline strainer/ filter was replaced with first compressor also
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Roy is compressor still engaged? Ofcoarse it is ! keep on driving and clutch is engaged and burning up strong wire burning smells inside car.So I turn off a/c hour later blowing cold again.will pass on elec. issue to my mech. I was hoping for a more specific answer
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.
I need answers to my questions if I am going to help. I have asked twice for information and you have yet to answer. I am sorry but if you want a more specific answer I need specific answers to my questions.
I am going to re post this and maybe someone else can help you. try to work with them and give them answers to questions.
good luck
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
I agree that the problem could very likely be electrical. If the power feed to the clutch coil is poor then it will cause lowered clamp load on the clutch plate and it will allow the clutch to slip. The circuit should be load tested and/or checked for voltage drop while the system is operating and hot. If there is voltage drop it could be in the wiring, the compressor relay, or an internal issue in the power distribution center.
It's very possible that there is a restriction, poor quality replacement parts or incorrect procedures being used when replacing the compressors, but I would test the coil circuit next.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanksCustomerim sorry I couldnot give Roy his pressure test Im just the owner /driver not a mech. I will tell you the a/c is not blowing cold now, about half funny thing because my mech. told me the o rings were blowing out. and he made sure to replace them.dont have pressure tester sounds like to much pressure,will pass on your info to mech. can you think of any thing else?
If pressures are too high then it could be the cooling fan (a common issue), it could be overcharged, or there could be a restriction in the system. The relief valve on the compressor should open and vent refrigerant if pressures are excessive. If O rings are leaking it's more likely that there is physical damage to one of the components or the O rings were damaged during installation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for your latest input I think we are getting closer to the problem .System overcharged I dont think so. Lines were replaced for o- ring issue. restriction in system with excessive pressure would explain coolant loss does this high pressure put more load on compresser clucth?And besides inline filter/screen what else could restrict system ?FILTER REPLACED,CONDENSER, SYSTEM/FLUSHED will check cooling fan. comes on with a/c check it after running 20 mins. Any thing else?
Yes, high pressures will put more load on the compressor clutch.
A restriction could be in any line or component including the evaporator or condensor, each time the compressor has been repalced the entire system should have been flushed, flow checked and the receiver/drier replaced.
I'm unsure exactly what you meant with the last statement about the cooling fan being on after 20 minutes. The cooling fan should be on within 30 seconds or so after turning a/c on. If it's not then either pressures are too low to warrant it (compressor or low charge), or the fan isn't running but should be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all I meant was fan running after Im going down the road for 15 miles or so are you saying as long as a/c is on fan should be on no matter what? this is all so confusing I feel like you want me to give out a rating of how did that brain surgery go and thats fine but your asking the garbage collector HOW AND THE HELL DO I KNOW! pass on all of both you and Roys info to mech. THEN I WILL RATE THIS INFO!
The cooling fan has to run at stops and low speeds when the a/c is on to pull air through the condensor. If you start the engine, turn on the a/c and let it idle you shoudl hear the fan running within 30 seconds or less.