Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Sprinter Van Certified
49095596

How do I test the tipm on a 2006 chrysler pts cruiser 2.4 non

Customer Question

How do I test the tipm on a 2006 chrysler pts cruiser 2.4 non turbo vehicle no crank,cam,crank sensor,coil pack replaced,battery good full charge on it.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN so I can research this for you?
Is there a red dot illuminated on the cluster when you are trying to start it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3A4FY48B96T275467
When I turn key to on cluster lights come on red Dot present after I crank motor red Dot comes on goes away. Also I've check the spark plug are good put in 5 months ago plug wires tested ok
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
So engine actually cranks but won't start? or No crank at all? Any other strange symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Spark plugs not firing, the wipers when I first purchased car would come on just by touching the wiper handle without turning to engage. I have to flip wiper handle on and off until wipers shut down. Also I checked
the timing belt opened inspection cover looks intact. Cranks but no start. How to I test the TIPM also I checked the fuses all good, fuse 17 with is the IOD that controls WCM in case WCM was locking vehicle from starting read on line Chrysler service
bulletin about this issue WCM locking up from starting it appears static electrical current was entering thru ignition and WCM lockup vehicle starting up bulletin advised to disconnect battery or take fuse for 30secs to free WCM lock up.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
There should be no reason to check the TIPM, since the engine cranks, the TIPM should be ok. At this time, I would HIGHLY recommend to scan for codes. Then after writing down all codes, clear them then try to start it again several times. After that scan again to see which codes come back...
If you don't have access to a scanner, AutoZone offers free tool loaning.. Hopefully you have an AutoZone or Advance Auto in your area...
We need to see what the codes are at this point. This will likely help to determine why there is no spark....
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Iam using actron u scan I have run the scanner serveral times no codes display also did the dance with the ignition key no codes
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked the injectors and the ignition coil connector for power? To check for power you must check it while cranking or for up to 3 seconds when FIRST turning on the key. You can also bypass the ASD relay to test these circuits... Also try swapping the ASD relay in case it is bad....
Also, even though you checked the timing belt, did you verify that the cams do in fact rotate when you are cranking the engine? This is important.
Also, A compression test would be in order just in case it jumped time. If this happened it can cause a no spark issue also...
Keep me posted...
Something else just came to mind. Check your battery cables carefully, a poor crimp connection can cause high resistance in the wiring which can cause strange symptoms like this and as you explained earlier with the wipers...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Coil connect 1st pin reads 10.42 dcv
2nd pin 11.80 .3rd 9.97 red cable to positive post ignition key on key off
readings are 1st pin 10.42 2nd pin 12.29 pin read from left to right.
Connector tested red lead to middle pin black to negative battery post reads .36 dcv key off.
Will look into other issues you stated tomorrow going bed,thanks
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
I'm logging off also, I'll look at the numbers in the morning and let you know my thoughts....
Thank you,
Robert
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
This is an automated response that was scheduled when I posted my answer. I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.
If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks, ***** ***** you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark My Profile Page(Bookmark this link) in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it
If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.
If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...
If your not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for delay had to work the weekend May 25, back to car problem.
I looked thru the timing belt inspection hole don't see the cam sprockets moving when I crank engine. Moved crankshaft with ratchet moves, not locked up.
Bench tested starter relay, ASD relay all good. Performed Parasitic Draw test reading 2.33 amperes only fuses that dropped were #14 IOD CCN/interior lighting to .30
fuse #7 IOD Sense1 to .04
fuse#8 IOD Sense2. to .30 what
7&8 is their a switch bad in these circuits? Also I had the horn switch replaced 4months ago in the steering wheel horn beeped once stopped working My son said horn works when
it wants to. Where do I go from here?
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Back up a bit.... If you didn't see the cam sprockets rotating while cranking the engine, you found the problem. Timing belt is bad... At this time you will need to further tear down the front of the engine to check and replace timing belt if necessary....
We can worry about the other stuff once you verify that the timing belt and replace if bad.
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay will further inspect tear down to get to timing belt will update you
Thanks
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, I'll be here...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Inspected timing belt intact, cam sprockets timing marks both at 6 oclock position where should they be. Where do I from here.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Actually the cam sprocket timing marks need to be at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock, there are 2 marks on each cam gear and they need to be horizontal with the top of the head.. See below for proper 2.4 timing mark locations....

--Click here to view--
Are your marks lined up as shown in the above drawing?
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert