George H.
George H., ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

Chrysler T&C: I am a long time Chrysler fan. My favorite

Customer Question

I am a long time Chrysler fan. My favorite car was my 70 1/2 Challenger T/A. Wish I still had it.
However my question concerns my 2005 Chrysler T&C. I recently had the main control unit replaced. Subsequent to the repair the remote door lock do not work, the overhead display shows Service Tire System Soon and Perform Service.
The dealership tells me there are no diagnostic codes and wants to go on a diagnostic expedition quoting many hundreds of $. I just spend about a grand and am not interested in an expensive fishing expedition.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,
For reasons only Chrysler knows the Body Control Module that you had replaced does not come with the latest software update. Have a shop with a DRB 3 scantool and TechAuthority access reflash the BCM and your locks will operate again and the TPMS system can be relearned to the new BCM.
You had this work done at a Chrysler dealer? They need to finish the job you paid for.
Please let me know how I can help you with your question
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They tell me that they did not replace the BCM, just used a known good one to test then put my old one back in. The same with the other module. The only unit they replaced with a new one was the PCM. Could all of this swapping cause my issues?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, they swapping could cause the issues and if your old BCM was never reflashed it will have the same issues.
There are two issues here, the door lock current is monitored by the BCM and if found to be excessive then the BCM shuts off the door locks. The new flash raises the threshold that the shutoff happens.
The BCM has lost its memory of what transmitters are in your wheels so it does not "hear" then when they report the tire pressures. Relearning the system will solve this but the BCM has to have the latest flash before you do that or it will be lost again.
This is a Chrysler dealer or a used car dealer?
It could be they bent a pin on the connectors for the BCM with the swapping but I think it is simple poor programming.
You stated you replaced the "main control unit" that is the PCM not the BCM?
You can test the door locks by pulling the IOD fuse in the underhood fuse block and reinstalling it. If the locks start working again it must be reflashed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes they replaced the PCM. I forgot to mention that the BCM was modified in Canada to enable the DRL. I moved to Canada in 2010 for 2 years, where DRL are required. Sorry for forgetting that and for the lack of specificity in my responses.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, no problem here I just wanted to be sure I was working from the right info.
Try pulling the IOD fuse for 30 seconds or disconnect the negative battery cable for the same amount of time and see if the BCM resets, if it does they lied when they said it does not have any codes. They were looking in the wrong place as the code for door locks sets in the BCM.
Let me know how I can help
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I did both the fuse removal and battery disconnect. No fix, sorry. I was really hoping.Russ
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry then I don't know what the problem is from here. They may have bent a pin doing the swaps so it will take hands on work involving the factory scantool to see what the problem is.
Sorry the usual issue with 2005 T&C door locks is not your problem.
I will OPT OUT of your question and maybe one of the other techs will have a suggestion for you.
Sorry I did not help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a new set of symptoms to add to the list. I hope this helps. I just drove my wife to work. When I went out to start the car the clock on the radio had changed time and the radio had reset itself from FM to AM. Then when driving the radio would turn off, the tach and speedometer would vary in speed wildly, the instrument lights would flicker, and the ABS and Air Bag lights would come on. This would happen for 4 - 5 seconds and then return to normal. The engine never stumbled just electrical gremlins. The behavior(radio turn off, flashing instrument cluster lights, varying tach, etc.) seemed to occur when accelerating and around the shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. It happened 5 times on a 25 minute commute. Not every time I accelerated from a light, but always while gaining speed.