sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler 300m: ChrisNew problem, 1999 300M cranks but

Customer Question

Hi Chris
New problem, 1999 300M cranks but will not start. P1684 is only code.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
P1684 sets in the trans controller when the battery has been disconnected. If the battery was disconnected it may have erased codes from the engine controller that would have been necessary for diagnosis of the no start issue.
There are many things that can cause a no start condition and it will take some testing to determine what is happening.
If you don't hear the fuel pump and fuses are good then odds are the pump has failed, you'd need to confirm it's power and ground are good before replacing it.
If the pump does run then you're most likely missing spark. Lost spark could be due to a failed cam or crank sensor, ASD relay or wiring issue, or cam timing. If the engine cranks faster than normal or sounds uneven then a broken or jumped timing belt is likely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HiCustomer

I can hear fuel pump. Sprayed ether into intake and engine tried to start. Battery was not disconnected, car ran fine and next day cranked but would not start.

Tom

Starting fluid will compression ignite. Have you physically checked for spark?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not.

If you do hear the fuel pump running then I would recommend either checking pressure with a gauge to see if it's low, or check for spark.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Pulled spark plug grounded it saw no spark.

Do you have a test light?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do.

Does the dark green/orange wire at one of the coils have power for about a second when the key is first turned on?