sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler Town and country: My 2007 Chrysler Town and country

Customer Question

My 2007 Chrysler Town and country touring mini van has only 72k miles on it. Last week it began sputtering when shifted into reverse. Today it won't go into reverse at all but all other gears work fine. Could this be a cable problem?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
I expect what you were initially feeling was the trans slipping in reverse if it now will not move in reverse but the forward gears operate fine.
You can check shift cable adjustment but if the shifter feels normal and it goes into park and drive correctly then the cable adjustment should be fine.
You can also check the fluid level, but again if forward gears operate fine then I doubt the problem is low fluid.
It sounds as if the reverse clutch has failed, either from wear or seal leakage. If it was slipping in reverse and then reverse was lost that does indicate a clutch problem, a geartrain issue should cause a sudden loss with no warning.