Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  #@ years in the Automotive repair field.
7276279

Chrysler PT Cruiser GT: I have a used 2006 pt cruiser gt, 95,000

Customer Question

I have a used 2006 pt cruiser gt, 95,000 miles and I smell gas from the ac vent and outside the car. This happens the first few minutes of driving and then when I turn it off I smell it outside. The engine light is on and says gas cap. Tightening it doesn't help, I still get the message and I only get 13.1mpg. It is the same hot or cold. Also I don't think it has on the right gas cap, how would I know?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
If you suspect you may have the wrong gas cap then the place to start is to replace it with a new cap from the dealer. If the light and the smell returns then the next step would be to have the computer system scanned and see what the fault code is that is setting when the light is coming on and that address that first. I would also do a top to bottom inspection for the fuel system to be sure there are no leaks.